Honors for Polynesian Legends
Three Seahawks Legends are among the finalists for the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018.
Dan Saleaumua (defensive tackle, 1997-1998), Mosiula Mea’alofa “Lofa” Tatupu (linebacker, 2005-2010), and Manu’ula “Manu” Asovalu Tuiasosopo (defensive end, 1979-1983) are the Legends in the running.
Five inductees (four players and one coach/contributor) will be announced on October 10, 2017. They will be honored during the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Weekend and during the Polynesian Bowl on January 19 & 20, 2018.
The Polynesian Football Hall of Fame honors Polynesia’s greatest players, coaches and contributors. It also serves as a resource for Polynesian football history, supports cultural and educational programs, including the award of nearly $200,000 in college scholarships. Founded in 2013 by Super Bowl Champions Jesse Sapolu (Chairman) and Ma’a Tanuvasa (Vice-Chairman), other board members include Troy Polamalu, Vai Sikahema, June Jones and Reno Mahe. Its permanent home is located at the Polynesian Cultural Center (Laie, Hawai`i).
CLASS OF 2018 PLAYER FINALISTS
▪ Tony Banks (QB) Michigan State, Pro: NFL (STL, BAL, DAL, WAS, HOU) 9 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Herman “Buddy” Pi`ikei Clark (OL) Oregon State, Pro: NFL (CHI) 4 years, Hawaiian ancestry
▪ David Dixon (G) Arizona State, Pro: (MIN) 13 years, Maori ancestry
▪ Malcom Floyd (WR) Wyoming; Pro (SAN) 10 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Chris Kemoeatu (G) Utah; Pro (PIT) 7 years, Tongan ancestry
▪ Ma’ake Tu`amelie Kemoeatu (DT) Utah, Pro: NFL (BAL, CAR, WAS) 9 years, Tongan ancestry
▪ Alapati “Al” Noga (DL) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (MIN, WAS, IND) 7 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Falaniko “Niko” Noga (LB) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (AZ, DET) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Joe Fagaone Salave’a (DL) Arizona, Pro: NFL (TEN, BAL, SD, WAS) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Dan Saleaumua (DT) Arizona State, Pro: NFL (DET, KC, SEA) 12 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Mosiula Mea’alofa “Lofa” Tatupu (LB) USC, Pro: NFL (SEA) 6 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Apisaloma “Pisa” Tinoisamoa (LB) Hawai`i; Pro (STL, CHI) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Manu’ula “Manu” Asovalu Tuiasosopo (DL) UCLA, Pro: NFL (SEA, SF) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Marques Tavita Tuiasosopo (QB) Washington, Pro: NFL (OAK, NYJ) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
▪ Kimo von Oelhoffen (DL) Boise State, Pro: NFL (CIN, PIT, NYJ, PHI) 14 years, Hawaiian ancestry
CLASS OF 2018 COACH & CONTRIBUTOR FINALISTS
▪ Bob Apisa (FB/HB) Michigan State, First Samoan named as an All-American, Samoan ancestry
▪ Thomas Ka’auwai Ka’ulukukui, Former Head Football Coach at University of Hawai’i, Hawaiian ancestry
▪ Charlie Wedemeyer, Former Head Football Coach, Los Gatos High School (CA), Hawaiian ancestry